Tuesday, October 13, 2009

It's a Good Life...




I never thought I’d do a blog. To me, blogging was akin to keeping a journal. And I’ve always resisted all calls toward that end, ignoring countless words about how the very act of journal-keeping would lead to personal growth, business success…the good life.

The idea of writing for my own amusement just never interested me. I was a journalist – I wrote for a living, and I required an audience. Since you’re reading this, I guess I’ve got the latter again. Income? I’m an entrepreneur these days, so chalk it up to the cost of doing business.

I’m an entrepreneur because I was invited this summer to become a charter member of Sprouter, a startup that connects innovators with each other. This interaction mainly occurs online, but I did attend an in-person Sprouter event (let’s call it a SproutUp!) where guest speaker
Gary Vaynerchuk of Wine Library TV encouraged everyone to turn their passions into online videos or blogs. His new book, in fact, is titled, Crush It!: Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion. It went on sale earlier today and, as I write, has just reached #23 on the Amazon best-seller list!

Alas, my passions range from writing and PR…to the TV, advertising and Internet industries…to music, photography and movies…to progressive politics...to the joys of New York in general and Brooklyn in particular. For now, I’m content to see where my muse moves me from posting to posting.

Of course, writers have always been told to write about what they know. But thanks to the research power of the Internet, what I know today could be something I had no clue about yesterday.

One thing I’m supposed to know about is how to use social media techniques in the PR world. So that’s another reason for this blog. I’m confident I’ve mastered Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, but my blogging experience has been scant.

That’s changing starting today. While tweeting in 140 characters can be trite, I’m hoping these blog posts prove both prosaic and bright. (okay, that may well be my very last rhyme.) In any case, each post should at least give me something to tweet about!

Stay tuned for more of Les…


1 comment: